On behalf of IOP Publishing, and with the support of the PAM Community and the SLA-PAM Professional Development Committee, I am honored to announce that we have renamed the PAM Travel Stipends the “Louise Leckner Memorial Travel Stipends.”
For 2013, IOP will be doubling the value to $2,000 apiece and the committee has agreed to extend the deadline for applications. The new deadline is Monday, March 11, 2013, and applicants will receive notification of award status by April 1, 2013.
We chose the Travel Stipends as a way to memorialize our dear friend and colleague because Louise was so proud to be a part of this program which both supports new librarians and deepens the relationships between those librarians and the PAM Division.
Those who have already applied for the travel awards do not need to resubmit their applications.
Thank you to everyone who has participated in this program in the past, and we look forward to selecting the 2013 awardees and getting to know them at the SLA in June.
For reference, below you will find the latest listserv posting with the details of the application process.
Sharice P. Collins
Vice President, Marketing
IOP Publishing, Inc.
150 South Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106
PAM Travel Stipend for attending SLA conference
The SLA-PAM Professional Development Committee is pleased to announce that IOP Publishing is once again sponsoring four conference travel stipends to help new librarians with the expenses of attending the SLA Annual Conference. The stipends aim to accelerate the advancement of new librarians entering science/technology librarianship by mentoring them to access educational and professional opportunities within the SLA. This is the fifth year running that IOP Publishing and the PAM Division have proudly offered these travel stipends.The selected recipients will each receive a $1,000 stipend to assist in defraying the cost of attending the 2013 SLA conference in San Diego, CA in June 2013. Learn more about the IOP Travel Stipend Award today and nominate yourself, or someone you know.
- Applicants must be graduates of a library science program.
- Applicants must have less than 3 years of professional library information experience.
- Applicants must work in a library focusing on one or more of the PAM disciplines (physics, astronomy, mathematics, or computer science) or act as a library’s subject specialist for one or more of these disciplines.
- Applicants must be first-time attendees of the SLA annual conference, or first-time attendees in a PAM discipline.
- International applicants must be eligible to travel to the United States and must be available to participate in US-based PAM activities throughout the year.
The committee reserves the right not to grant any of the four awards if not enough applications meet all eligibility requirements and adhere to all the application procedures.
Only applicants who meet all the eligibility requirements at the time of application are submitted to the SLA-PAM review committee for travel stipend consideration.
- Candidate must attend the SLA Annual Conference the year the award is given.
- Candidate must attend the PAM business meeting and breakfast.
- Candidate must be willing to attend PAM sessions and events at the Annual Conference and participate in a group photo session administered by SLA.
- Candidate must be available to participate in US-based PAM activities throughout the year.
1. Prepare a brief letter (approximately 750 words), answering the questions:- How do you meet the criteria?
- What do you hope to gain from attending the 2013 SLA conference?
- How do you expect/hope to be involved with the PAM division in the short and long term?
2. Submit current curriculum vitae/resume.
Applications can be submitted via email to Margaret Lam at email@example.com (subject line should begin with PAM Travel Stipend). Applications will be accepted until March 11, 2013. Late applications cannot be considered.
Applicants will receive notification of award status by April 1, 2013. The award check will be presented at the PAM business meeting and breakfast.
No money transfer will be made in case the award recipient can’t attend the conference for any reason.
The PAM Division is deeply grateful to IOP Publishing for their continued involvement with and support of librarians at the SLA conference, and most especially for their generous commitment to the professional development of young science librarians.
Selection Committee Members:
Sharice Collins, Vice President, Marketing, IOP Publishing, Inc.
Stella Ota, PAM Chair
Margaret Lam, PAM Professional Development Chair
Kathleen Lehman, PAM Mentoring Sub-Committee Chair