Physics Data Respositories | Astronomy Data Repositories | Mathematics Data Repositories | Computer Science Data (and Code) Repositories | Other Subject lists of Data Respositories | Data Management Resources
- HEP Data – high-energy physics reaction database of Numerical HEP scattering cross sections
- National Nuclear Data Center – includes nuclear structure, reaction and decay databases
- Neutron Monitor Database – worldwide network of neutron monitors detecting cosmic rays in the (0.5-20) GeV energy range.
- NIST Physical Standards Laboratory – physical reference data and property tables
- SuperDARN (Dual Auroral Radar Network)
- SuperMAG (ground based magnetometer data)
- Virtual Modeling Repository (simulations and simulated output)
- HEASARC – NASA’s High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center
- Heliophysics Integrated Observatory (HELIO)
- Infrared Science Archive – NASA’s science and data center for infrared astronomy
- International Planetary Data AllianceSolar system (planets, etc.)
- NASA’s Earth Observing System Data and Information System – A distributed network of data systems responsible for data archival and distribution.
- NASA Extragalactic Database – NASA’s archive of data for over 3 million extragalactic objects
- National Space Science Data Center – Archive for NASA space mission data
- NOAA National Geophysics Data Center
- Planetary Data System- organized into ‘nodes’ …imaging, plasma, atmospheres, rings, small bodies, etc.
- Sloan Digital Sky Survey – Download optical images of the sky. See also, SkyServer for educational portal to the data.
- Solar Data Analysis Center – Based at Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA, they will archive data that’s of interest to the community.
- Southwest Data Display and Access System
- Space Physics Interactive Data Resource
- Space Physics Archive Search & Extract – Metadata standards for describing space physics archives
- Virtual Energetic Particle Observatory
- Virtual Heliophysics Observatory
- Virtual Ionosphere Thermosphere Mesosphere Observatory (upper atmosphere)
- Virtual Magnetospheric Observatory
- Virtual Radiation Belt Observatory
- Virtual Space Physics Observatory: – Catalog of space physics data , archives, instruments, etc.
- Virtual Solar-Terestrial Observatory
- Virtual Solar Observatory – mostly remote-sensing images, some spectra
- Virtual Wave Observatory also has spectra
Other efforts that are more IR-ish (just data from one institution)
National Astronomy Repositories
- International Virtual Observatory Alliance(IVOA) – Defines metadata standards and XML schema for astronomical data documentation. View each member observatory by country at http://www.ivoa.net/pub/members/
- US National Virtual Observatory – Deposit/Access to astronomical data, including ground and space-based telescopes based in the US. Includes data analysis tools
In addition to large, community-run code projects like Drupal, Ubuntu, here are some popular code-based repositories:
- CodePlex – provided by Microsoft
- GitHub – Hosts developer libraries such as Ruby on Rails, IronRuby, jQuery, Perl
- Google Code Project hosting – open APIs and Google projects like Google Gears, Android, Chromium.
- Launchpad – includes projects such as Ubuntu, MySQL (code hosting)
- NASA’s Metrics Data Program – contains software metrics and the associated error data at the function/method level for NASA software development projects.
- SourceForge – the most popular open source code hosting facility according to this Wikipedia comparison
- International Council for Science’s World Data System
- Purdue University/D2C2 List of “Other Data Repositories” – searchable
- Simmons Wiki List of Open Data Repositories – ordered by subject
- World Data Centres
- ARL Resources for Data Management Planning
- Cornell/DataStaR- Institutional data repository example
- Dataverse Network Project Harvard University’s data repository and linked data network
See also these relevant publications:
Hourcle & King (2010) ‘Vocabulary for Virtual Observatories and Data Systems’
Send corrections, changes and suggestions to Lisa Johnston firstname.lastname@example.org
Site last updated April 23, 2013 @ 4:58 pm; This content last updated June 9, 2011 @ 5:57 pm